231Tune: Northern Michigan's Car Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

painting a muffler

2 posters

Go down

painting a muffler Empty painting a muffler

Post by oldsintrigue Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:55 pm

hey guys i have a muffler im trying to prep for my car, its stainless steel thats all dinged up and im trying to figure out how to paint it. i have sanded it all down and i sprayed it 1-2 times and the paint stuck just fine. but yesterday i sanded the paint down to make it nice and smooth and then re-sprayed and cleared it and when i took it off the hanger it left my hand print in the paint and started to wrinkle up the paint Mad Mad . any body have any ideas what i can do to stop this? im thinking of stripping it all down and primering it but im not sure if that will even help my cause, im trying to get rid of all the chrome on my car and dont want the muffler to be the only chrome piece.
Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
oldsintrigue
oldsintrigue

Back to top Go down

painting a muffler Empty Re: painting a muffler

Post by Nick. Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:05 pm

have tried applying a very thin coat first and letting it dry then shooting it? this called etching. and by thin i mean almost just a mist like over spray and just keep building it up coat by coat.
Nick.
Nick.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsintrigue Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:09 pm

shooting it as in like spraying it again? thats what i started with to see if it would even stick to it. and once it stuck i layed a good cover layer over it and there wasnt any problems, i sanded that down to get the few runs that were in it out and cleaned it all up before spraying again this thing has to have like 6 layers of paint on it
oldsintrigue
oldsintrigue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum